Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The GRE

Now that I've plunged back into academe, I decided I should take the GRE. Actually, quite a few programs require it... Anyway, the thought of it has haunted me for years, so it was a good thing I didn't really have time to think about it before taking it. A week of intensive math review prepared me to answer a few simple questions. (I can recommend some sites for practicing addition, subtraction and multiplication.)

The attitudinous test supervisor almost derailed me before I even began the test. However, conquering those violent and primal instincts, I settled into the really annoying routine. Most frustrating is trying to avoid all the lengthy and unnecessary directions. Yes, I believe I can click on the correct answer to select it, then click 'Next' to continue. I am even capable of figuring out which words fit into a sentence without three paragraphs of instructions. At least the MadLib-like humor of the wrong answers provides some relief.

Then in the quantitative section, the agony of knowing near the end that I won't have enough time to think about the remaining questions. I can't see them all, so I can't pick out the easier ones and finish them off- I simply have to stress over each one. No, I will not practice my math skills by dividing the number of minutes left by the number of questions left- I will focus on the problem at hand! They couldn't give questions with only one skill at a time either, each one had to involve two or three of the techniques I'd been cramming. I felt exactly the way I felt doing math in high school (the last time I tried)- really tense and unable to concentrate. It must be the flight instinct- when you know you're losing the battle, it's better just to run!

Now, I just took a look at a document that helps you analyze your scores. Unsurprisingly, my quantitative score was lower than the mean of almost any group listed. :-( Oh well, it would have been a *lot* worse if I hadn't studied! Actually, though, the most striking fact about the score statistics was that in both quantitative and verbal, those entering education scored significantly lower than anyone else. This scared me. :-0 What does it say about the future of our nation's schools?!? Then I ran into this interesting article: http://www.educationnews.org/gre-scores-of-school-administrators.htm.

You can also calculate your IQ based on your GRE scores. Disappointing to find out that my IQ is lower because I'm not good at math, but they can think whatever they like! I'm not a calculator, after all! :-) As long as I stick to verbal subjects, I come across pretty well... ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home